Thursday, December 10, 2009

look around

i went to the library today for story time. i was crossing the parking lot toward the entrance and a man came stride for stride with me also making his way to the land of endless knowledge. when i take the boys anywhere i become a u-haul. i had ty in the stroller, wyatt, holding the handle of the stroller so he wouldn't run loose into on coming traffic, and three bags, totaling my body weight, hanging off of me. as we got closer to the door i assumed the man would see my struggles and kindly open both doors for me, as many have in the past.
as we approach the entrance the man veered off to the left and went in the left side door, leaving me to fend for myself. by the time i had managed to open both library entrances and maneuver my u-haul through the doors the man had a movie in his hand and was striding to the service desk to check out. i then realized why he didn't help me; he was too concerned with himself. he was so focused on his task that he didn't see the need of those around him.
i began to think about my own life. am i too focused on surviving life with too little ones that i don't take the time to help someone in need. isn't that what the holiday season is about? We remember when God gave his perfect present, the ultimate sacrifice of his only Son. If He can sacrificially give that much, the least i can do is give up a second of my time to listen to someone who's hurting or open the door for an elderly person, or give food to someone who's hungry.
there are so many hurting and struggling people in the world today but often we are too focused, too consumed with the busy, insane lives that we created and like the religious leaders who looked at the robbed, beaten Samaritan, we walk by. every morning our daily creed should be may another hurting soul not go unnoticed. look around because your provision could be someones necessity.

1 comment:

  1. I struggle every day with not being so wrapped up in my own busyness that I miss the needs of those around me. You are absolutely right!

    ReplyDelete